A new OS experience

2008-01-17

Using Fluxbox in Kubuntu

I couldn't resist installing Fluxbox on my laptop as part of my window manager options. I used Fluxbox previously when I was trying out Knoppix. Installation was easy, since I had almost all repositories checked:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install fluxbox

Once the installation was complete, all I had to do is try it out. Initially, the right click menu had no options available, but a quick menu update (while in KDM) took care of that:

$ sudo update-menus

Then I had to edit the Fluxbox menu:


$ sudo nano ~/.fluxbox/menu

which output the following:

[begin] (fluxbox)
[include] (/etc/X11/fluxbox/fluxbox-menu)
[end]

Since I wanted to add Firefox the contents of my menu, I had to edit fluxbox-menu:

[submenu] (Internet) {}
[exec] (Firefox) {/usr/bin/firefox}
[end]

which I added under the Network submenu.

No comments: